Pesto Roast Veg
by Olivia Cartwright,
It’s a 3-day week and we are already getting excited for those bank holiday BBQ’s!
This BBQ roasted veg with vegan pesto is a great Veggie option or delicious side for everyone to enjoy.
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 1 aubergine
- 1 corguette
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch thick asparagus
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 50g pine nuts
- large bunch of basil , roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 150ml olive oil , plus extra for the jar
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- ½ lemon , juiced
- Prepare the grill with clean grates and preheat to medium heat, 350°F to 450°F (or on bbq)
- Trim the ends of the aubergine, corguette, and onion and cut into 1/3" to 1/2" slices. Seed the red pepper and cut into quarters. Trim the ends of the asparagus.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables with the lid closed until tender and lightly charred all over, about 8 to 10 minutes for the peppers, onion, and mushroom; 5-7 minutes for the yellow squash, corguette, and aubergine and asparagus.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small pan over a low heat for 3-4 mins until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Blitz the pine nuts with the remaining ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste.
- Finally top roasted veg with with pesto and serve